The bare truth.


Emotional eating is a huge struggle for me.

I feel like I'm doing fine coping with all the stress of my life... dealing with anxiety and at times panic and depression... but I'm not. How am I coping with it? I'm eating. I'm eating through the pain. Eating through the sadness. Eating through the loneliness. Eating through the regret and then I'm loathing. I loathe myself for doing this. I don't want to overeat. The problem is I don't even feel "full". I never even feel stuffed. I feel like I could just keep eating and eating and eating. It makes me so mad.

I can do really well and exercise and take my vitamins and drink water. I can be sure to eat a large salad with tons of fresh vegetables and a delicious balanced breakfast, etc... but when it all comes down to it I will eat the wrong things later as an attempt to satiate the pain inside me. I will eat the goodies and sweets that I know are calorie loaded.

It breaks my heart. this overindulgence. This dissatisfaction I have inside. I want to be full of God. I want to long for Him and turn to Him when I am empty or sad or lonely or depressed. I want to cry out to Him instead of filling myself with cookies or other empty things.

i don't know how to repent and truly break this cycle. I don't know how to make it stop.

So I call out to God again. Rescue me from myself. From this body of death. From my own indulgence. Give me self-control. Give me wisdom. Save me Jesus. I can't do this apart from you. I can't change apart from you.

Help me to find another way to comfort myself... by reading and eating from the bread of Life, your Word... by soaking myself in prayer... by praising you and meditating on you- your goodness and faithfulness... by finding my hope and joy in you... not in food. Jesus, I want to fix my eyes on you and to let my heart overflow with gratefulness. Lord, I know food is only a temporary satisfaction which leads me only longing for the next fix. Please help me to view food rightly.

Thank you that you are faithful to hear my prayers. I love you Jesus, Amen.


So I will trust the Lord at His Word when He says (Lamentations 3:22-23),

"22 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
23 they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness."


And Matthew 6 encourages us in this way,

"25 “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 28 And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, 29 yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31 Therefore do not be anxious, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the Gentiles seek after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

He knows my worries and anxiety about eating/not eating/over-eating. He is aware. I need and want to first and foremost look to Him and seek after Him. Seek after the things that please Him and to trust the Lord that the rest will follow in the right time and in the right way.

Comments

  1. JL, I am so glad you made this blog. I believe the Lord is going to bless you on this journey and minister to a lot of women through your words. Thank you for your honesty and willingness to share struggle and hope with those around you. I support you 110%

    I would encourage you to make small goals as you start this lifestyle. We are both detail people that seek to be big-picture people too. Commitment to small changes can be great...small victories encourage larger (big picture) changes and might help you not to feel overwhelmed at this point on the road.

    A suggestion: remove one negative element and add one positive element.

    Example:

    NE-Stop eating desserts every day. Eat a dessert 1x per week (unless cold turkey is better for you).

    PE-Stretch while you pray (whenever you can)throughout the day. Incorporate focused physical movement as you spend focused time communing with the Lord.

    Just an idea...

    Much love,

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kels, Thanks for your input! I love it!

    I can't believe I've already gone 5 weeks of CONSISTENTLY exercising. yay! That feels so good.

    Please keep praying for me!

    JL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, I think you are off to a great start... in that you are being humble and honest about your waeknesses and open to other's encouragement and most of all God's power to bring life to places in your life that are impossible to overcome on your own (that is a run-on sentence I'm sure!). I have been praing this new year for more self-contorl in all areas of life as well. Eating healthy and exercise are activities I enjoy but I also must submitt this to my Savior. My motives aren't always pure when I think about staying trim and healthy- so that's where I come before Him again and again for grace. One way I try to be consistent in eating good foods is by not buying many treats. I also try not to bake much (sniff sniff) because I usually end up eating most baked-goods around my house. When I'm hungry for a snack I try to eat veggies with ranch dip (yum) or fruit dipped in vanilla yogurt. If I can't get to the gym or it's too cold for a walk outside I set my timer for 15min. and exercies inside- just keep moving... up/down my stairs a few times, push-ups, lunges, jump-rope (without a real rope), squats, dips on a chair, leg-kicks, whatever for a full 15min. That way you can still get your heart rate up and work your muscles. Keep updating the blog on your discoveries- love you

    ~Katy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Katy! Some great ideas. I like what you said about submitting to the Saviour. I had to get to a point where I had to let go of "losing weight." What if I were to never lose a pound would I still love and trust God? I needed to decide that question before I could move forward. Do I believe He can help me... YES. Do I believe He will help me? Yes! BUT I don't want my faith in HIm to be based on whether or not He will help me lose weight.

    I had the yummiest dinner tonight- stirfry broccoli, zucchini, carrots with teriyaki chicken and garlic potatoes... delish!

    I like the idea of jump-roping without a rope... didn't think of that!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

New Beginnings.

4 weeks!