A New Start.

The kids are throwing pillows at each other. I've just finished another work-out and find their energy exceeds mine by ten-fold.

I have been thinking lately about my struggles with eating, exercise, self-indulgence, self-control, etc. and thought maybe it best to write about it. To kind of get it out of my system.

I've heard the best way to lose weight is by having some kind of accountability. So if I have accountability with myself and with others.. and if I write down what I'm doing and what I'm not doing... well, maybe it will help.

I have read over the years and have been encouraged with the verses of Psalm 139:14 -being fearfully and wonderfully made.

Psalm 139

For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.

1 O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.

3 You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.

4 Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.

5 You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?

8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, [a] you are there.

9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,

10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,"

12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.


17 How precious to [b] me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!

18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.

19 If only you would slay the wicked, O God!
Away from me, you bloodthirsty men!

20 They speak of you with evil intent;
your adversaries misuse your name.

21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?

22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.


But what does this mean? For a long time I have looked at the passage of being fearfully and wonderfully made and thought it to be that if I was in obedience and accord with doing what is right THEN and ONLY THEN would I be fearfully and wonderfully made. But the truth is He calls me fearfully and wonderfully made... even when I mess up big time. Even when I eat from emotion. Even on the days I don't exercise or get enough fruits and vegetables or drink water or take my vitamins. It's not in what I do or do not... it's in who HE has made me to be!

I take such comfort in that... in the knowing that I am not alone. And as I desire to eat better and live healthier... and basically do what I know is good for me... I take hope in knowing that He loves me the way I am. That I am His. That I can trust that He will help me change... this is nothing I can do apart from Him.

So I take a deep breath and take a step forward on this journey... a journey that I hope will lead to weightloss and better health... but more importantly a journey in which I hope to glorify God... to trust Him more... to see Him at work in my life... and to know that He is a faithful God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The bare truth.

New Beginnings.

4 weeks!